That’s the end of March already! It almost feels like spring will not come to Chicago at all. This time of year, I always make more nourishing, warm, and spicy dishes that keep us cozy from the inside. It is a perfect time to experiment with different spices combinations. Cinnamon, cardamom, mustard, and, of course, turmeric.
This bright-yellow powder is absolutely amazing for the immune system and always on trend in our kitchen. I shared our favorite turmeric muffins recipe here, golden milk here, and easy-to-make truffles in this post.
Today I’m sharing a bit more savory recipe, and it is turmeric dhal with lentils and wild rice. A simple, wholesome and well-satiating meal for a whole family, it has long been firmly entrenched in our diet. This dhal is an excellent option for lunch or dinner, especially when the temperature outside is still cold.
Mainly, I love this recipe because the beautiful combination of spices and coconut milk creates a whole symphony of aromas in the kitchen. When I close my eyes, this smell literally transfers me somewhere on Sri-Lanka, to the real eastern market where the abundance of colorful vegetables, fruits, and spices come together. Mmm…was it convincing enough to try this recipe? 😉
- 1 cup lentils, preferably soaked for a few hours or overnight
- ½ wild rice
- 4 ½ cups water
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 tsp. coconut oil
- 2 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. whole cumin seeds
- ½ of a white onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- A handful of spinach (optional)
- Sea salt, to taste
- Wash the lentils and rice well and rinse, then add to a pot with water, bringing to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook until soft, about 30 minutes or so. Throw in the carrots (if you choose to use them).
- When the lentils and rice are almost cooked through, heat the coconut oil in a separate pan. Add the mustard seeds, allowing them to “pop” and burst open for a few seconds, as you mix them. Then, add the cumin seeds, onion, garlic, cooking until soft.
- Stir in the turmeric and coconut milk until heated, then add the lentils, rice, and carrots. Then, stir in a generous handful of spinach until soft.
- Combine and season with sea salt. Adjust seasonings as desired. Enjoy!
Serve this dhal with roasted vegetables and fresh greens!
Enjoy and let me know how you like it!
P. S. Use the hashtag #lemonsqueezylife and I will see your creation!