Today I am super excited about two things, first one is Total Solar Eclipse which is happening right now in Chicago!🌞🌒I am writing the post and it is really dark outside. Next time, it will take a few years, I am going to be prepared for such event better and spend all day at Adler planetarium).
Back to the food. Another exciting thing is the opportunity to share our favorite Carrot Cake recipe! There are not many cake recipes on the blog. You may ask why Carrot Cake? I have a clear answer). The only one who may love carrot cake more than my husband is probably Bugs Bunny. I am absolutely serious. I already shared carrot cake bites and carrot cake muffins recipes, honestly, It took some time to figure out the best healthy recipe of so cherished American dessert such as Carrot Cake. Today I am happy to say that I finally did it!
This beautiful cake is vegan and can be gluten-free also if you use gluten-free oats. It is orange, naturally sweet and light. We usually make it out of our carrot juice pulp, the result is always great. If you are a passionate juice maker as we are, and always have an extra bag of carrot juice pulp in your freezer, this recipe will be a great fit for you.
If you don’t juice, use regular shredded carrots. All I can say, this cake is worth it to try!🥕
Healthy Carrot Cake with Coconut Icing
for 8 inch baking pan
- 1 cup organic oats (use gluten free is intolerant)
- 2/3 cup pecan (walnuts)
- 2/3 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 quinoa flour (for not gluten free version use whole wheat flour)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp powdered cloves
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 carrot juice (can use fresh orange juice)
- 1 1/2 cup carrot juice pulp ( or shredded carrots)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
Ingredients for coconut icing
- 1/2 can full fat coconut milk (chilled overnight in the fridge so you need only hard part -coconut cream)
- 1 tbsp organic honey (or maple syrup)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 F degrees.
- Mix nuts, oats and coconut in a blender and process until coarse flour. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add quinoa flour, and the rest of the dry ingredients, mix everything well.
- In a separate mixing bowl mix all the wet ingredients, including baking soda and apple cider vinegar. Stir everything well.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients, stir until all come together, then pour the batter into a cake pan (use a little bit of coconut oil for the pan).
- Bake for 40 minutes. Try to stick a toothpick in the centre of the cake, when nothing sticks on it the cake is ready. Let it cool.
- Meanwhile, blend together icing ingredients (make sure to use chilled part of coconut milk) until well combined. Place icing in the fridge. Add the icing when the cake is completely cooled of. Serve with roughly chopped pecans or walnuts on the top.
Enjoy our easy carrot cake!
Juice more and stay cool 😎
Did you make this recipe?
Please, let us know how it turned out!
Leave a comment below or share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lemonsqueezylife
Thank you so much for your time!