Here, in America we have a labor day weekend. It is time for fun with family and friends, long walks in the parks and along the beach, and it is certainly time for easy desserts! Who doesn’t love simple delicious and healthy treats? Especially if they’re effortless to make? Not us, for sure).
Today I want to share with you one truly wonderful and healthy treat, Vegan Date&Oats Squares. I made them recently, and we really loved it! I am sure my dearest friends from all around the world and family (somebody is hopefully reading this blog?) will love this simple and healthy treat too!
This dessert I did not create by myself, I found it on the PureElla blog. I made a few changes in the recipe, but I still feel responsibility to share the original recipe link in case you want to check it out.
Vegan Date&Oats Squares
- 1 cup oat flour or 1/2 oat + 1/2 almond flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats not instant
- Handful of walnuts
- 1/4 cup organic maple syrup or 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 3/4 cup coconut oil cold & hardened, cubed
- 2 cups organic pitted Medjool dates 1 cup dates + 1 cup dried apricots
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- Line an 8 x 8″ pan with parchment paper and preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Pit the dates and soak them in a bowl with hot water for about 5 minutes. Then strain well and add to a blender and process until a paste consistency. Transfer to a mixing bowl, add sea salt and vanilla extract. Stir well. Set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, pulse the flour(s), oats, syrup (sugar) and oil until crumbs form. Do not overmix. Transfer half into the baking dish and press into the pan with your fingers. If the dough is too crumbly, wet the tips of your fingers with water and press down. If the mixture is too wet, simply dust the top with a little extra flour and continue pressing to cover the bottom of the pan evenly.
- Spread out date paste evenly on top.
- Chop up walnuts and add to the remaining crumble and stir well. Then sprinkle on top of the pie evenly.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for about 35-40 minutes. The top should be nice and golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before serving. Viola! Easy and beautiful treat is ready!
*Keep for up to 7 days in the refrigerator. Freezer friendly for up to 3 months in an airtight container with parchment paper in between squares.
These squares are so easy to make and so delicious! It is a pure confirmation, that healthy food does not have to be complicated or tasteless!
Enjoy your weekend! 😉
Love, Zhenya, xoxo
P.S. Thanks Pure Ella for the inspiration!