This summery-bright sauce with delicious earthy flavor will perfectly accompany salads, pasta dishes, sandwiches and more!
Flavorful pesto sauce has its origin in Italy and traditionally consists of crushed garlic, some pine nuts, coarse salt, basil leaves, Parmigian cheese, and olive oil. I love its fresh flavor and just the right balance of earthy notes. Without exaggeration, pesto can transform any dish into a nutrient-dense meal. This cheese-free option asks for nutritional yeast instead of parmesan cheese. I personally love this superfood for its incredible nutritional profile — complete protein and B vitamins! Give it a try and feel free to adjust to your lifestyle, of course.
Why so nutritious?
- Basil – great source of vitamin K
- Spinach – source of carotenoids, vitamin C, vitamin K, folic acid, iron, and calcium.
- Walnuts – great source of omega-3
- Nutritional yeast – vegan-friendly source of complete protein, B vitamins and trace minerals required for optimal health.
- Olive oil – source of monounsaturated fat and antioxidants.
Simple Pesto Recipe
- 2 cups spinach packed
- 1 cup basil packed
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4-5 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- In a food processor or blender, combine all ingredients and blend until creamy. Add additional water to achieve a desired consistency. Serving size is 1-1.5 tbsp. Enjoy this sauce with pasta dishes, sandwiches, salads, seafood, chicken, and more!
Let me know if you tried this recipe! I am excited to hear your thoughts about it!